|Fascism Grows in Black Rain |
Painting by Adam Gillespie
Most recently in this country, fascism has taken the form of overzealous faux-patriotism, and its accompanying legislation, in order to garner control of our nationalistic interests, domestic and abroad. It has condemned the speakers, the activists, the natural food producers, the non-Christians, immigrants and the poor. In fact, it has attacked everything that is
9/11 started the landslide toward our national village. Like an echo in the mountains unleashing an otherwise peaceful pack, this shot heard round the world shook the very base of our “Democracy” to the point where people without even the slightest idea of what Al-Qaeda was, started toting signs and waving flags when called upon by the Bush Regime to denounce and condemn the alleged actions of a terrorist organization from the remote country of Iraq.
It didn’t matter that the attack was a direct result of this Nation’s previous actions in a land we had no right to be in, or that the attack had not been proved to be carried out by these profiled “terrorists;" all that mattered was the American Government needed justification to invade and control an oil rich land. When the towers fell, the race was on for total governmental control over “We The People” and, by extension, the
In reaction to this “attack” by those in charge, came the enacting of one of the most destructive pieces of Executive and Legislative acts in the history of this Country: The Patriot Act. This Wag the Dog
It isn’t even the fact that the destruction of the Twin Towers has not been proven to have been linked to these terrorists, or that Iraq didn’t actually have Weapons of Mass Destruction as vehemently insisted upon by Bush and his minions; it is that they used the occasion to call upon those with heads deeply planted in the sand to begin waving flags in support of government-driven xenophobic initiatives. It all served to introduce the next phase of Fascist Evolution.
Fascism is not new to this country, nor is it a conspiracy theory by half-baked paranoids. It is alive and growing in this, our Republic, and has been for quite a long time. Any developed country has, as part of its governing system, a certain level of fascism. There needs to be a police element, otherwise there is anarchy. A certain level of governmental control of information is necessary to secure military counter actions in national defense interests. Prisons are established to correct criminal behavior. These defining principles of fascism are present intrinsically in any government. The issue that needs to be watched and contained by the people, is to what level of existence the fascist element is present within said government.
The gathering secrecy and purposeful placement of representatives of the fascist interests into the political arena is eerily consistent with the rise of the Third Reich in
1. Hitler, or rather the Third Reich, propagated that economic conditions of
- In 2007, Oklahoma State Representative, Randy Terrill, a Republican, pushed through a series of measures to try to drive out illegal immigrants, whom he blamed for economic hardship and lawlessness in his state. Many followed the call for reform of our immigration laws across the nation based upon this same belief.
- The current push by the Right to cease current unemployment compensation payments, tougher sentencing for “habitual” criminals, which directly affected immigrants and the attempt by Marge Baker, a candidate for the Florida House of Representatives, told The Associated Press in 2010, that we needed to have camps because there are a lot of these people (illegal immigrants) roaming among us.
- The Rex 84 Program was established on the reasoning that if a "mass exodus" of illegal aliens crossed the Mexican/US border, they would be quickly rounded up and detained in detention centers by FEMA. Rex 84 allowed many military bases to be closed down and to be turned into prisons.
- In 1937, Jews are banned from many professional occupations including teaching Germans, and from being accountants or dentists. They are also denied tax reductions and child allowances.
- In 2010, the Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English classes.
- Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
- Supremacy of the Military
- Controlled Mass Media
- Obsession with National Security
- Religion and Government are Intertwined
- Corporate Power is Protected
- Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
- Obsession with Crime and Punishment
- Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
- Fraudulent Elections
These sentiments are not just isolated in the words of these few people, they are the same beliefs that have been emerging in the Republican Party, the Freedom Party and the Tea Party Patriots. These words may have been meant as protectionist statements, but so were the words of Hitler as felt by the Nazi Party and swallowed by a desperate people as a reaction to desperate times.
When a government set up as a beacon to those who have been downtrodden begins to extinguish not only the flame of
Milton Mayer finishes his book with the poignant words of his colleague:
What will you do to avoid history’s repetition and the continuation of the American Dream? For those of you who have been sleeping for the past several years, I can only say this: Welcome to the slow creep of American Fascism.